Ramon Allones Specially Selected Cigar Review
Of all the Cuban Cigars on the market nowadays few are as revered by aficionados as the Ramon Allones Specially Selected. The storied history of the brand and the reliability of this particular cigar make it a firm favourite amongst newcomers and those who have spent years developing their knowledge of tobacco. This is a cigar whose popularity has stood the test of time – released in the 1930s (albeit in a slightly slimmer and longer shape) it still delights almost 100 years later.
Today’s RASS is a classic robusto: 50 ring gauge by 4 7/8 inches in length. It will provide around 45 minutes of smoking and the full flavoured blend of Ramon Allones means it will pair with a strong coffee in the day, but really come into its own with a rich whisky or rum after your evening meal.
The RASS is a popular cigar for good reason.
- The body of this cigar was well-built and well-kept, a perfect spring to the touch and good colorado hue to the wrapper. There was a slightly rustic grain to the touch, although no veins in the leaf
- Immediately upon lighting the smoke flowed through the stick beautifully. For the duration of the smoke there was no difficulty to the draw.
- The burn of this stick was exactly what we look for in a cigar; there was no deviation in the ring as it gently smouldered down the body nor did the burn at any stage become too quick, resulting in the smoke being hot and bitter. An absolute pleasure.
- The ash was a dark grey, rather than the pure white we hope for, but held on to the end of the cigar well.
The cigar burned beautifully as it was smoked.
- A magnificent amount of smoke to each draw, aromatic and flavourful, and elegant blue strand wisped away from each end of the stick when it was placed down.
- The strength we expect from Ramon Allones was evident from the outset and built wonderfully as the cigar progressed. Earthy, spicy and fragrant, this was a delicious afternoon treat.
- I expect a lot from the RASS as it was one of the first cigars I fell in love with and this particular stick did not disappoint. The flavours and aromas filled my palette and nose, the draw and construction were perfect and I was left wondering why it had been so long since I had last lit one up.
The end of a beautiful smoke came almost too soon.
Final Score: 93/100
- I was excited to light up this cigar as I had left such a long gap since my last. It can be easy, in a world where each Cuban brand has many vitolas and where limited and regional editions can steal our gaze with their glamour and rarity, to forget the sticks that first sparked our love for Habanos. The RASS reminded me of this folly; the first third immediately brought notes of toast and rich earth, with a light touch of pepper on the front of the tongue. Into the middle of the cigar nutmeg and coffee began to develop, adding a new dimension to the experience. The final third saw the flavour intensify, the earthy notes return and was a terrific, rich end to the hour.